Don't forget to leave your comments!

Sunday 20 April 2008

Your N95 is a barcode scanning machine!



When I first started using the barcode reader on my N80 about a year ago, I didn't appreciate the application as much as I do now with my N95 8GB. If you don't know what I am talking about, go to the Office folder on your N95 and press on the icon where it says Barcode; If you don't have an N95 and you think you have a compatible device, click here to find out and/or download the application.

What the application does, is, with the use of the main camera, reads barcodes like the one on the left. The level of recognition is very good, it doesn't matter if you move the phone a little bit while trying to scan, or if your camera is upside down, it will still scan it. The codes can take you to three different paths: The first one is that after scanning, you'll be directed to a website, many companies in Japan have already started placing banners with barcodes on them to take more visitors to their websites; the second path is to scan the code and get a simple text, could be something like ''have a nice day''; finally, the last possibility is to scan a barcode and get a phone number, for which the application gives you the option to save it to your phone contacts. The good news is that you can easily create your own barcode at Nokia's website.

Now that you know, you can start scanning and creating barcodes, I invite you to scan the one I've posted and find out what it is!

Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hey there! Click on the adds, they're pretty cool"

=) good stuff.. works well.

Miguel said...

I'm glad I could help :)

Anonymous said...

Unrelated but do you know why the keypad would get autolocked on my N95 8GB? The settings for both keypad autolock and phone autolock is set to None. Even the "lock keys when if slide closed" is set to No. It's irritating when it gets autolocked, I like to lock my own phone when I want. any ideas?

Miguel said...

I know it's kinda anoying, but seems like you can't disable that! If I find out a way, I'll certainly tell you how.

Search

Google